Thursday, February 25, 2010

I hate Dumbo.......

So....you know how thoughts from your childhood carry into your adult years? For example, I always thought my mom had beautiful hands and I wanted to have long, delicate fingers like her. Also, I remember people commenting on how great my mom looked for having seven kids. In my childhood mind I was proud and wanted to be like that. Well, when I was little I also hated crying. To this day I despise crying. I guess, to me, it is a weakness. I bet Tyler has only seen me cry a handful of times the whole time we've been married. This said, I hated sad movies when I was little. Dumbo for one, Pinocchio, etc. Well, everyday after the gym I race home to feed Madden his cereal. At the same time, I'm getting London's lunch ready, hurrying to change a diaper, cooking my eggs or chicken (if that's my lunch), and entertaining a three year old at the same time. By the time the kids are fed and Madden is playing in his walker, I finally get to sit down and relax to eat......Did I say quietly? Because London never leaves me alone. She wants me to start a movie, or read a book, or get her crayons, etc. So this was happening the other day and I was frustrated with her. "London! Let mommy eat in peace!" I begged. She pleaded for me to read Dumbo to her. Eventually I obliged and began to read the story. I was hurt for Dumbo when he was teased and began to cry during the part where his mother reached through her bars and rocked him. Just typing this makes me teary. The whole time I read the book and cried I was thinking, "What the heck is wrong with me?" London looked up at me because of my shaky voice and remained quiet throughout the rest of the story. When it ended, I looked at my two beautiful children. My angels are my life. I suppose that motherhood has made me soft. But, I related to Dumbo's mother and ached for his suffering. I love my children. I'd hate for them to suffer ridicule like that little baby in that STUPID movie! At the end, London turned around and gave me a kiss and said, "I love you, Mommy. Thank you SOOOO much for reading that to me. You can eat your lunch if you want." Ouch. As my dad reminds me frequently, this time shall pass. So, I will gratefully and happily continue to read to my little girl even in the most inconvenient circumstances. But, I still hate crying and whoever wrote Dumbo has a sick mind playing with people's emotions!

8 comments:

Camille Hammond said...

THat's so funny. Janica and I feel the exact same! Also with Pinoccio. Not a huge fan of Bambi either. So just know you're not alone!

Amanda said...

Not only do I get teary at that part in the movie, but when the song "Baby Mine" starts, I just lose it. It is one of my favorites and I sing it to Gabers almost everyday.

Amy Jo said...

Good lesson. Thanks for sharing. That is a good reminder for all of us to "stop" and do the more important things.

Sister Rippstein said...

I love that movie but hate how emotional it makes me too! Well at least the mom doesn't die in that one. It seems Disney really doesn't like mommies because they are either missing or killed most of the time.

Janica said...

About a year ago the boys wanted to watch it, and when that part came on, I totally lost it! (I hadn't seen it forever) It was ridiculous (but I do cry easily). But Camille is totally right, we don't like it!

Monique said...

I am the same way! There are too many movies I don't like to mention... I am also not a crier and think it is more of a weakness. I have noticed that Disney just eliminates one of the parents out of the stories... hmmm.

Kristy and Dave said...

So true! Some of those Disney movies are totally depressing - and I don't think I even realized it until I got older. But I guess they do have a way of teaching us lessons, even as adults.

You're a good mom.

Carly said...

That is how I feel about the movie Up... whoever wrote that has some serious issues... I think it is completely devastating.